Sunday, June 17, 2012

Nigeria Update 4 June 17, 2012


 Hello everyone,
There are many things that have happened this week. First of all last Sunday, June 10th, I went to a village way back in the bush called Ojiyanawo.  The church was small, but I enjoyed it. Joshua, one of the local church leaders took me and interpreted for me. It was a good thing he did because some of the concepts that I was trying to get across were hard to interpret into the Igala language.

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday I was sick with something. I am not sure what it was. It was serious enough for me to stay in bed and rest. They wanted to take me to the hospital, but I declined until I felt that it was needed. After Tuesday, I felt much better and by Wednesday I was only a little weak.

Thursday, I moved into the boy’s dorm. It has been really good. I love the kids here. There are several that always run up to me and give me a great big hug every time I see them. The younger ones call me grandpa. There are four rooms of 7 or 8 boys in each in the boy’s dorm that I am working with. They are between 1st grade and 6th grade. I love them. At night I read to them a devotional and then we pray together. They ask me every night to make sure I will come back the next day. Some nights they fall asleep before I can even get to their room. : )

Friday, I took a trip to Anyigba to Kogi State University to pick up some of the Fellowship of Christian Students (FCS) to go to the Secondary Schools where they have their own FCS’s. This is like our Campus Crusade groups or Navigators group in our State Universities. So the College students piled into a 15 passenger van and my jeep and we took off to go to these secondary school. There were five secondary schools that we went to. We dropped off three to five students at each school along the road. At the last place I was given the opportunity to speak to the students there. They were in their exams so there were not as many as we hoped.  The students that went with me were disappointed and asked me if I still wanted to speak to such a small group. I told them of course I wanted to speak to them and that these were the students that the Lord wanted there that day. After that we went to one of the students houses, who is also a teacher when he comes back to Otutulu on his breaks. His mother made us pounded yam and soup. I was very happy. I love pounded yam. : )

It has been a long time since I have driven in Nigeria and it seems that it was not as bad as the last time I drove, two years ago. Just watch out for motorcycles and for random chickens crossing the rode.

Saturday, I worked on the school scrapping the walls so that they can paint the walls. While we were there, a dump truck came with a load of desks for the school. It came back two more times that day, with desks and cupboards for the students.

Sunday, I went to a village that was having a conference. The name of the village was Ogonenwigwu Aloko. I got the opportunity to speak there. I found out that my grandfather 33 years ago spoke at that very church. There was only one man who was left from that time. After the service we went to visit some people. The first was the head king, who was over seven smaller kings. He had known my grandfather. He had professed to being a Christian, but now he went to Islam and from what I understand he is nothing now. I got to talk with him about it. He blames becoming king to his falling away from God. I was able to talk to him about the story of Nebuchadnezzar and how he humbled himself before the Lord. He told me he would seriously think about it. I am going back to visit him sometime before I leave. From there we went to another ladies house. She was asking us for prayer for her sons to find wives and for them to find good jobs. Also she has the opportunity to take a leadership position in one of the bigger villages and she wants us to pray for contentment and humility. Her name is Charity Nathaniel. While we were there a Muslim woman, Alimo, whose stomach was hurting her and who had been sick for a very long time came to us so that we could pray for her. Praise the Lord for the opportunity to share the gospel with her. We explained that she herself could ask God for help and then we prayed for her.  She said she could not become a Christian because her father would put her out of the house and disown her. The only reason she could come and visit us at that time was, because her father was gone for the day. If he found out she would be in big trouble, but she felt she had no other option. Praise the Lord for the opportunity we had there.

Please pray:
·         For the church in Ojiyanawo, that they would grow in Christ.
·         For me and my health, as it has not been the best, but the Lord is giving me strength to get what I need to get done, done.
·         For the boys and opportunities to share the gospel with them.
·         For Alimo that she would come to know Christ.
·         For Charity and her boys and this leadership position.
·         For the king that he will turn to Jesus Christ and stay focused on Him until the day he dies.
·         Praise the Lord for wisdom in what to say and for help in everything thus far.

Upcoming events:
·         Evangelism for four days at the end of this week. From Thursday to Sunday. Pray for opportunities to share the gospel and show Christ’s Love.

Thank you all for your prayers they are appreciated so much. I miss you all.

Your brother in Christ,
T.J. Kerttula


No comments:

Post a Comment