Saturday, August 25, 2012

Final Nigeria update Aug 25, 2012


Hello everyone,
I have been home from Nigeria for about a week. On the flight home I was sick with Malaria and a cold which ended up taking a while to get over and I am still working on getting over the cold.  The Malaria is gone, but I am still pretty weak.  On Monday, I will be going back to school again so I would appreciate your prayers on that aspect of things. I don’t feel ready to go back at all. I am excited about the ministry opportunities that the Lord has given me though for this semester. I hope to focus more on Evangelism and international students this semester.

I want to thank you all for your prayers as I was in Nigeria. I learned that another Muslim woman came to Christ from Otutulu last week. Praise the Lord for that. I hope that I can continue my language study here. I have plenty of vocabulary and some resources, but it is still not enough for me to know everything. I am starting to understand part of the grammar. I would appreciate prayer as I am studying it, because it is said that no one can learn the language unless they were born in it or were there from a very young age. I am praying about going back next summer.

In reflecting on everything that happened there I really can’t explain everything that runs through my brain. There is one thing that I feel like was a theme for my summer. That was 1 Peter 2:21-25. I listened to “In His steps” on audio book. I was so thankful for that. We are to follow in Christ’s steps. To think about that and dwell on that was very interesting. I came to a realization that my steps did not always match His and that there were areas that I needed to work on. I love verse 23. Christ kept entrusting Himself to the Father who judges righteously. Even if someone wrongs you or does something not very nice to you or cheats you, you should give it to the Father who judges righteously instead of taking it on yourself to get them back. Christ did not revile people in return nor did he utter any threats. He gave everything including Himself to the Father, who will take care of everything. So also we need to be on our guard to not wrong someone else, because we will be judged by God for what we have done.  Christ bore our sins in His body on the cross for the purpose that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. Have we died to sin? Are we living to righteousness? Is our goal to live a righteous life or are we just doing as good as any other “Christian”? It is hard to live to righteousness, but that is part of walking in Christ’s steps. Many times we make the excuse that we can’t live a righteous life, so why should we even try? That excuse is what Satan uses to keep us from living a righteous life. Are we going to let Satan win this battle or are we going to start living a righteous life and following in Christ’s steps? Christ went through so much for us and we have His great example, but when it comes to living godly, righteous holy life we give up before we even try because we say it is impossible. It is time to start trying to live a life that matches Christ’s life always striving to become more like Christ.

Your brother in Christ,
T.J. Kerttula

No comments:

Post a Comment